With the late 2016 release of “No Payne, No Gain,” his duet with the legendary Freda Payne (not related as far as the pair can tell), Harlem-born, Bay Area-based Clif Payne (who has worked with an array of artists over the years including Johnny Mathis, Dionne Warwick, Tony Bennett and Bobby McFerrin) achieved international recognition, particularly in the UK where it became a Top 10 soul hit). Now comes his second CD, “Too” (the follow-up to his debut album “Welcome To My World”), produced by Preston Glass and Larry Batiste and released through SoulMusic Records in association with Platinum Garage Records. Clif shares with David Nathan about the new album (which includes a new duet with Freda, “Yesterday’s Payne, Tomorrow’s Joy”) and more…
Recent features and articles
- SOUL TALKIN’ with David Nathan & Kevin Goins: TRIBUTE TO THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF EARTH, WIND & FIRE
- SOULMUSIC HALL OF FAME – Voting for next round of nominations now open! You can vote right here!
- Hamish Stuart (Average White Band) 2019 SoulMusic.com Interview
- Motown Spotlight – April/May 2019
- biSoultennial – Vote for your Top Ten Memphis Soul Songs!