Disc 1: AMEN! (1965)/ PRAY ON (1966)
- MORE THAN A HAMMER AND NAIL 2. HE’S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS 3. MY JESUS IS ALL 4. THIS TRAIN 5. PRAYING TIME 6. BE CAREFUL OF STONES THAT YOU THROW 7. SAMSON AND DELILAH 8. NOBODY’S FAULT BUT MINE 9. MARY DON’T YOU WEEP 10. AS AN EAGLE STIRRETH HER NEST 11. DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF 12. AMEN (From “Lillies Of The Field”) 13. IT’S BEEN A CHANGE 14. WAITING FOR MY CHILD 15. HOW GREAT THOU ART 16. WISH I HAD ANSWERED 17. TRAMP ON THE STREET 18. WHEN WAS JESUS BORN 19. PRAY ON 20. GLORY, GLORY HALLELUJAH 21. THE LORD’S PRAYER 22. HAD NO ROOM 23. JOHN BROWN
Disc 2: FREEDOM HIGHWAY – LIVE AT CHICAGO’S NEW NAZARETH CHURCH (1965) / WHY (1966)
- FREEDOM HIGHWAY 2. WHAT YOU GONNA DO 3. TAKE MY HAND PRECIOUS LORD 4. WHEN I’M GONE 5. HELP ME JESUS 6. WE SHALL OVERCOME 7. WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN 8. THE FUNERAL 9. BUILD ON THAT SHORE 10. TELL HEAVEN 11. HE’S ALLRIGHT 12. WHY? AM, I TREATED SO BAD 13. KING OF KINGS 14. STEP ASIDE 15. IF I COULD HEAR MY MOTHER PRAY AGAIN 16. WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN HEAVEN TODAY? 17. WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN? 18. I’VE BEEN SCORNED 19. I’M GONNA TELL GOD (ABOUT MY TROUBLES) 20. MY SWEET HOME 21. MOVE ALONG TRAIN
Disc 3: FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH (1967)/ WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE (1968)
- FOR WHAT ITS WORTH 2. FATHER LET ME RIDE 3. DELIVER ME 4. HE 5. IF I HAD A HAMMER 6. ARE YOU SURE 7. WADE IN THE WATER 8. I’M THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD 9. JACOB’S LADDER 10. GOOD NEWS 11. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE 12. DON’T LET NOBODY TURN YOU AROUND 13. A PLACE IN THE SUN 14. I WONDER WHY 15. LET THAT LIAR ALONE 16. LET’S GET TOGETHER 17. CRYING IN THE CHAPEL – Mavis Staples 18. DOWNWARD ROAD 19. A HARD RAIN’S GONNA FALL 20. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER – Mavis Staples 21. PEOPLE GET READY BONUS TRACK 22. POWER OF LOVE (B-side)
- In 1964, The Staple Singers signed with Epic Records after leaving Jazz/Blues/Folk label Riverside Records. From then until the middle of 1968, they recorded six albums for the label, all of which are featured in this 3CD box.
- Three of these classic albums, “Pray On”, “For What It’s Worth” and “What The World Needs Now Is Love”, are making their CD debut and this now makes virtually all of their recorded work available on CD.
- During the years with Epic, The Staple Singers’ sound developed into the Soul/Folk sub-genre that came to a commercial peak at Stax Records during the 1970s.
- This 65-track box set is the first-ever retrospective of their Epic years and features songs by Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, Burt Bacharach and Hal David as well as numerous original compositions by Pop Staples. His original song, ‘Why (Am I Treated So Bad)’, has become a soul standard.
- Despite their newly-found commercial success, the group did not leave any of their gospel roots behind. All of the songs that are not gospel standards are imbued with a message of hope and inspiration, fully in keeping with their Christian music roots.
- Mavis Staples is featured on lead vocals on the majority of tracks but there are also several vocals from Pops Staples and his blues-drenched guitar gets much exposure too. Pervis Staples can be heard on three recitations with Bob Dylan’s ‘John Brown’, which are especially notable.
- Mavis Staples is the only member of the family still active and regularly touring the world, keeping The Staples Singers legacy alive. Pervis has been long retired and Pops, Yvonne and Cleotha have all passed away.
- SoulMusic Records is very proud to bring these six keenly sought-after albums back into circulation.