DISC 1: THE STAR
1. Deep Freeze
2. There’s Something On Your Mind
3. Today I Sing The Blues
4. Strange Things
5. Don’t Compare Me With Her
6. Why Don’t You Tell The Truth
7. Baby It Is You
8. I Don’t Want Anybody Perfect
9. Just Loving You
10. Lucky My Boy
11. The Star
12. This Time Last Summer
13. You Go Your Way And I’ll Go Mine
14. Don’t Stay Away
15. I’m The Exception To The Rule
16. I Still Get Butterflies
17. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
DISC 2: YOU ARE MY CHOSEN ONE
1. Can’t Hold The Feeling Back (Previously Unreleased)
2. Girl On The Run (Previously Unreleased)
3. Have A Little Talk With Myself (Previously Unreleased)
4. I Feel Your Love Growin’ On Me (Previously Unreleased)
5. I’m Giving Up
6. I’m Spellbound
7. The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me
8. What Good Am I Without You
9. It’s Going All The Way To True True Love (Previously Unreleased)
10. Whenever You Need Me
11. You Got A Little Of Everything
12. You Are My Chosen One (Previously Unreleased)
13. My Precious Dreams (Previously Unreleased)
14. Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin’
15. What Have I Done To Myself (Previously Unreleased)
16. The Land Of Make Believe (Previously Unreleased)
• SoulMusic Records is very proud to present a sumptuous 33-track 2-CD set of classic recordings by the legendary Brenda Holloway drawn from Motown’s vaults and recorded between 1963-66.
• SPELLBOUND has been compiled and produced by longtime Motown expert Paul Nixon, responsible for the successful “Cellarful Of Motown” series, who has carefully selected the tracks on this superb compilation by one of Motown’s most soulful singers. Included here are nine previously unreleased tracks along with rare cuts that have only been available digitally.
• California-born Brenda Holloway became the first West Coast-based artist signed to Motown in 1963; within one year, she achieved US national success with the now-timeless classic, “Every Little Bit Hurts”; Brenda’s five further charted singles included “When I’m Gone,” “Just Look What You’ve Done” and “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” (a song she co-wrote, later recorded by pop/rock group Blood, Sweat & Tears).
• Although Motown only issued one LP, Brenda recorded prolifically for the label, with literally dozens of tracks remaining in the vast Motown vaults until producer Nixon began including tracks on various reissues. SPELLBOUND features (2) tracks cut in 1963, (23) in 1964 and (8) in 1966; producers included Marc Gordon & Hal Davis, Frank Wilson, Johnny Bristol & Harvey Fuqua, Ivy Jo Hunter, Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier, Norman Whitfield, Mickey Stevenson and William Weatherspoon with material written by, among others, Sylvia Moy, Billy Page, Jimmy Webb, Janie Bradford and the Lewis Sisters.
• Notes by renowned UK Motown historian and writer Sharon Davis include 2017 quotes from Brenda along with an essay by producer Nixon; and stellar remastering by Nick Robbins.