• Natalie Cole was enjoying international success in 1977 when Capitol Records issued her fourth album, THANKFUL. Like its predecessors, the LP was produced by the Chicago team of Chuck Jackson & Marvin Yancy and contained two of Natalie’s own compositions, the Top 10 US R&B hit single “Annie Mae” and “Keeping A Light.”
• A US Top 20 pop and Top 5 R&B charted album, THANKFUL (long out of print on CD) was certified platinum and boasted the US million-selling R&B No. 1 and No. 15 pop single, “Our Love.” This reissue is the second Cole album from SoulMusic.com Records following the February 2011 release of “Natalie Live”(SMCR-5009D)
• Key cuts on THANKFUL include the gospel-driven title track; the smooth ‘quiet storm’-flavoured Cole fan favourite, “La Costa” (co-written by Natalie and her then-musical director Linda Williams); the jazzy “Lovers” (another tune co-penned by Natalie); and the Cole composition, the heartfelt “Keeping A Light.”
• In addition to saxophonist and co-producer Gene Barge, Jackson & Yancy assembled an ‘A’ list of musicians for the album including guitarists Lee Ritenour and Ray Parker Jr., drummers James Gadson and Paul Humphrey and keyboardists Sonny Burke and Michael Boddiker.
• Notes by prominent US writer Rico “Superbizzee” Washington include quotes from former Capitol Records executive Larkin Arnold and Natalie's former manager Kevin Hunter
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.