||• The late, great TEENA MARIE had established herself as a consistent hitmaker among black music audiences in the US as a result of five albums for Motown and her 1983 Epic debut set ROBBERY (reissued by SoulMusic.com Records in 2012 as an expanded edition, SMCR-5048).
• With the release of 1984’s STARCHILD (which became a US Top 10 R&B and pop Top 40 best-seller), the L.A. native finally achieved mainstream international pop success thanks to the classic single, “Lovergirl,” which reached No. 4 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart and became the biggest hit of the multi-talented singer, songwriter, producer and musician’s amazing three-decade-long career.
• For the sessions, Teena assembled an all-star cast of musicians and singers that included Leon Ware, Narada Michael Walden, Ronnie McNeir, Billy Griffin, Nathan East, Preston Glass, James Jamerson Jr. and Paulinho Da Costa.
• As with its predecessor Robbery, Teena wrote or co-wrote all nine tracks on the album including the standouts “Out On A Limb,” the club hit “Jammin’,” and her soulful tribute to the late Marvin Gaye, “My Dear Mr. Gaye.”
• This expanded edition of STARCHILD features five bonus tracks including a six-minute-plus instrumental of Lovergirl (making its CD debut) and an eight-minute dance mix of Jammin.’
• Notes by renowned US writer Rico Washington include quotes key players involved with the project.