• From the start of their pacting with Capitol Records in 1974, the brothers Tavares were considered one of the flagship acts as the very first signing by black music department head Larkin Arnold. Over the ensuring years, the New Bedford, Massachusetts family group had nine Top 10 R&B hits and seven Top 20 R&B best-selling albums.
• Released at the end of 1980, LOVE UPRISING was the group’s ninth album for Capitol and was produced by Benjamin Wright (former musical director for Gladys Knight & The Pips and Barry White among others and arranger for Michael Jackson’s “Off The Wall” LP). Wright had worked with Tavares on their previous album, “Supercharged,” contributing and producing three songs.
• Available for the first time ever on CD (in an expanded edition with the single version of the title track, a Top 20 R&B hit, penned by the team of Rene Moore & Angela Winbush), LOVE UPRISING featured top musicians including James Jamerson, Paul Jackson Jr. and Paulinho DaCosta and the Phenix Horns (formerly with Earth, Wind & Fire).
• LOVE UPRISING is part of the series of reissues by SoulMusic Records of great albums by Tavares including “In The City” (SMCR-5022), “Sky-High!” (SMCR-5023), “Supercharged” (SMCR-5045) and “Madam Butterfly” (SMCR-5064).
• Notes by renowned U.S. writer Kevin Goins include quotes from 2012 interviews with Tiny and Chubby Tavares and producer Benjamin Wright for this reissue.
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.