• The brothers TAVARES were at the top of their game in 1978 thanks to massive hits like “It Only Takes A Minute,” “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” and the Grammy-winning “More Than A Woman.”
• For MADAM BUTTERFLY, their seventh album for Capitol, the brothers wanted to create a project that would mark a return to their soul/R&B roots: they worked with producer/arranger Bobby Martin, known for his Philly sessions with Thom Bell and Gamble & Huff. Based in L.A., Martin pulled together top writers of the day - including Sam Dees and the team of Grey & Hanks for the project.
• The result was an album that was played almost in its entirety by U.S. R&B stations. The first single, “Never Had A Love Like This Before” was a Top 5 R&B hit in advance of the release of MADAM BUTTERFLY. Highlights included “Let Me Heal The Bruises,” “Straight From The Heart” and the original version of “I’m Back For More” (later recorded by Al Johnson).
• Only available previously as a Japanese CD, this expanded edition of the much-loved MADAM BUTTERFLY album includes three bonus tracks and is part of the series of reissues by SoulMusic Records of great albums by Tavares including “In The City” (SMCR-5022), “Sky-High!” (SMCR-5023), “Supercharged” (SMCR-5045) and “Love Uprising” (SMCR-5065)
• Notes by renowned U.S. writer Kevin Goins include quotes from 2012 interviews with Tiny Tavares and producer Bobby Martin for this reissue.
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.