• Known as the first family of gospel, The Staple Singers were established international hitmakers thanks to classics like “Respect Yourself” and “I’ll Take You There,” recorded for Stax Records in the ‘70s. After recording for Warner Brothers and 20TH Century Records, the group (Pops, Mavis, Yvonne and Cleotha) signed with Private I Records and released TURNING POINT in 1984, reissued by SoulMusic Records in January 2012 (SMCR-5038).
• Producers Gary Goetzman and Mike Piccirillo (who had worked with Thelma Houston and Smokey Robinson among others) were responsible for two cuts on TURNING POINT including the dance/R&B hit, “Slippery People” composed by guitarist David Byrne, lead singer of Talking Heads.
• Pops Staples and the family were so impressed with the work Goetzman and Piccirillo did for their Private I debut that they asked the team to produce their 1985 sophomore project for the label, the self-titled THE STAPLE SINGERS. The team also co-wrote most of the tracks which focused lyrically on the kind of social and political themes for which the group had been known earlier in their career. David Byrne once again provided a song for the LP, the standout “Life During Wartime.”
• THE STAPLE SINGERS is making its worldwide debut on CD with this expanded edition which includes three bonus tracks, versions of “Are You Ready?” a Top 40 R&B hit. ”
• Includes notes by renowned US writer Darnell Meyers-Johnson include quotes from co-producer Mike Piccirillo.
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.