* As part of our jazz-funk series, SoulMusic.com Records is proud to present the fourth CD in the series of five reissues of the complete Arista catalogue of renowned, Grammy-winning star drummer, performer, producer and songwriter Harvey Mason
* Originally released in 1977, FUNK IN A MASON JAR was Harvey’s third LP for Arista, the follow-up to EARTHMOVER (SMCR 5024) and provided him with a commercial breakthrough, reaching the Top 40 on the US R&B charts and the Top 10 on the jazz charts
* Artist in her own right (and among L.A’s top session singers) Merry Clayton provided the soulful vocals for “Till You Take My Love” which has remained popular as a rare groove track in the UK, is considered a ‘70s R&B classic and was Harvey’s highest-charting US single
* FUNK IN A MASON JAR included Harvey’s compelling eight-minute-plus version of Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” (with George Benson on vocals and guitar) and the funky “Pack Up Your Bags” (featuring EW&F guitarist Al McKay). With an amazing list of star players, the musical cast for the album includes Verdine White (EW&F), David Foster, Mike Porcaro, Phil Upchurch, Ray Parker Jr., the Tower of Power Horns, Dave Grusin, Louis Johnson (Brothers Johnson), Ronnie Foster, Bob James and Tom Scott
* Notes by esteemed US music writer A. Scott Galloway including 2011 quotes from Harvey, Kenny Mason, Merry Clayton and Anthony Jackson
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.