FREDA PAYNE: STARES AND WHISPERS Expanded Edition (SMCR 5021)
* Songstress Freda Payne has enjoyed a lengthy career in the world of music and while probably best known for her early `70s hits, "Band Of Gold" and "Bring The Boys Home," the native Detroiter has been a staple performer since her early teens.
* After her success working with Holland-Dozier-Holland for Invictus Records, Freda recorded two albums for ABC Records before signing with Capitol Records in 1977.
* Freda's Capitol debut LP STARES AND WHISPERS featured production work from Frank Wilson (known for his hitmaking records with Eddie Kendricks, The Supremes, and Lenny Williams) and Tony Camillo (known for hits with Gladys Knight & The Pips among others). The producers assembled an all-star cast of musicians and singers for the L.A. sessions including Greg Phillinganes, Jack Ashford and Angela Winbush.
* Much anticipated by Freda's many fans worldwide, the 1977 set spawned a major dance hit ("Love Magnet") and according to Freda, remains one of her personal favourite albums of the many she's recorded since 1963.
* Bonus tracks on this expanded edition include two rare `B' sides and a track with then-labelmates, Tavares.
* Notes by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan include 2011 quotes from Freda, specifically for this reissue, making its worldwide CD debut.
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.