Thelma Jones launched her career in 1967, releasing a few notable singles through Barry Records. The classic soul/jazz album, THELMA JONES, was her debut LP and was released almost ten years after her first single The House That Jack Built.
THELMA JONES was produced by seminal record producer Bert DeCoteaux after his success with The Main Ingredient, Linda Lewis and Marlena Shaw. The album's first single was I SECOND THAT EMOTION, a surprisingly fresh reworking of the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles classic. Thelma's version spent 6 weeks in the US R&B charts in 1978. Also included on this album are versions of The O'Jays' NOW THAT WE FOUND LOVE as well as the evergreen ANGEL OF THE MORNING which had previously been recorded by Dusty Springfield and Nina Simone.
· THELMA JONES received strong critical acclaim and led to Thelma becoming something of a cult icon for Soul and Jazz music aficionados, particularly in the UK. The album also features her earlier Columbia single, SALTY TEARS, which was produced by southern soul legend, Brad Shapiro
1. I Second That Emotion
2. Lonely Enough To Try Anything
3. Now That We Found Love
4. Angel Of The Morning
5. I Can Dream
6. How Long
7. Stay Awhile With Me
8. I d Rather Leave While I m In Love
9. I Want What You Want
10. Salty Tears
11. You re The Song (That I Can t Stop Singing) (B-Side)
12. Love, Look What You Got Me Into (B-side)
13. I Second That Emotion (Single Version)
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.