• The brothers TAVARES had already racked up seven best-selling albums and twenty-one U.S. R&B hit singles by the time SUPERCHARGED, their eighth Capitol LP was released in 1980.
• The New Bedford, Massachusetts-based family group – formed in 1964 – had achieved international fame in the mid-‘70s thanks to hits like “It Only Takes A Minute” (from the album In The City, reissued by SoulMusic.com Records in 2011 on SMCR 5022) and “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” (on Sky High! reissued on SMCR 5023).
• With production by Benjamin Wright (former musical director for Gladys Knight & The Pips) and Bobby Colomby of Blood, Sweat & Tears fame, SUPERCHARGED included the Top 10 U.S. R&B/Top 50 pop hit, “Bad Times” and the Top 50 pop single, “I Can’t Go On Living Without You.”
• Other key cuts on SUPERCHARGED, a Top 20 U.S. R&B charted album, included “Why Can’t We Fall In Love,” (co-written by Deniece Williams, Carole Bayer Sager and David Foster); and “We Both Tried” and “I Don’t Want You Anymore,” written by Grammy-winner Foster and Bill Champlin. Star players on the LP – previously only reissued as a Japanese CD – include Jay Graydon, Greg Phillinganes, Harvey Mason, Steve Luthaker and James Jamerson Jr.
• Notes by renowned U.S. writer Kevin Goins include quotes from a 2011 interview with Pooch Tavares for this reissue.
Get 10% and more off this and other SoulMusic.com Records titles!
As a member of the SoulMusic.com Community, you receive a coupon code for your discount at Cherry Red Records! If you haven't done so yet, register today at our SoulMusic.com homepage!
About the Writer
David Nathan is the founder and CEO of SoulMusic.com and began his writing career in 1965; beginning in 1967, he was a regular contributor to Blues & Soul magazine in London before relocating to the U.S. in 1975 where he served as U.S. editor for the publication for several decades and began being known as 'The British Ambassador Of Soul.' From 1988 to 2004, he wrote prolifically for Billboard, has penned bios, produced and written liner notes for box sets and reissue CDs for over a thousand projects. He returned to London in 2009 where he has helped create SoulMusic.com Records as a leading reissue label.